Saturday, March 25, 2017

the memory keeper's room...

 This little shabby chic roombox is a tribute to all of you out there who collect vintage ephemera and photographs. I started collecting when I was a child because I spent a lot of time with my Great Grandmother, who was a collector. I still get a thrill when I find a particularly interesting old postcard or well worn love letter. The memories attached to these treasures may not be my own, but they still speak to me and inspire me to imagine a long past world so different from my own.
 As you can see, the focus of this room is the tray filled with old letters, postcards and photographs. There is even a magnifying glass for closer inspection. Below the tray is an open faux book box, with more photos and ephemera, waiting patiently for perusal. A couple more faux book boxes on the shelf await their turn as well.
 I felt this room really needed a window to look out of (while daydreaming) so I used a set of Dollhouse Windows with Shutters 1:12 to add one. The image I used behind the window wasn't quite tall enough to fill the whole window sooo... I made a decorative window shade out of a toothpick and some cardstock to hide it. I just glued the cardstock around the toothpick, added a piece of cardstock to the back so it hangs down and glued filigree beads to the ends. A small piece of white Dresden trim adds a finishing touch.
 I love cats, so I always try to put a cat or two (or three or four!) in any room box I make and this one is no exception. There's a mama cat and three kittens (who are really half scale cats that work purrfectly as kittens!)
I thank you for stopping by my blog and hope to see you again! Remember to take time to daydream and use your imagination :) Now run along and create something!
Supply list is available here.

No comments: