Saturday, October 14, 2017

Halloween in Wonderland...

Today's project is one of my favorites as it combines two of my favorite things, Alice in Wonderland and Halloween. I started off with a Corner Room Box, from Alpha Stamps, then covered it with some Halloween in Wonderland paper that I had in my stash. A little black paint and some black Dresden to give the outside a polished finish and I was all set to add a scene.
 I chose to do a tea party in my scene because I love miniature tea sets and sweets. There wasn't a lot of room in my box for a tea table, soooo... I used the table parts in the Round Table & Chairs Kit to build half the table. I followed the instruction provided in the box and literally only built half of the table (the supports under the table need to be cut in half but everything else is already in halves).
 I also needed a chair for my tea party, so, I built one of the chairs in the kit and added some spooky extras... a Tiny Resin Skull was glued to the back of the chair and two Resin Boneyard Bones were glued to the sides of the chair instead of the supports from the kit. I sanded down the backs of the bones where they glued onto the chair, with an emery board, so they fit well before I glued them in place with Non-Toxic Cement for Plastic Models.
Before painting my furniture I used Primer to lightly coat the pieces.
As you can see, I primed just about everything I was going to paint with the same primer. Of course I washed everything down with Dawn Dish Washing Liquid and a soft toothbrush first! Be sure to let the primer dry completely before you begin painting over it because it will cause cracks to form in your paint otherwise. 
Above is a good view of the many things I painted, with acrylic paint, to use in this scene. The Polka Dot Resin Teapot looks so much better in black and orange! I love the Metal Alice in Wonderland Figurine and Cast Cheshire Cat Figurine, they were painted with a 10/0 brush and a magnifying glass so I could see them better :) 
The teacups and saucers did not need to be primed before painting. I did wash them with Dawn though and gave them a couple of coats of paint each (letting the paint dry fully between coats).
The frame with the photo of Lewis Carroll is made from an Unfinished Rectangular Frame with a Miniature Flying Bat glued to the top of the frame before painting.
The witch's hat was made of black cardstock. I threaded some Tiny Sheer Ribbon through a 5mm Bronze Buckle then glued it above the brim of the hat.
As you can see from my example, painting (or adding a bat or bone or something else to) a miniature or other item to use in a scene or art piece makes for more choices. Why be limited by a color combination someone else chose when all you have to do is break out the acrylic paints (and primer). 
I'm already thinking about doing Christmas in Wonderland next! What have you always wanted to do but couldn't find the right pieces for? What are you waiting for? Go make something fun!
My supply list is available here.



4 comments:

Tee said...

This is so creative! Just gorgeous!

Laura Carson said...

FABULOUS!!!

sheilaAR said...

Adorable Teri! Most beloved line of G45 and magic use of it. And the Little Ghouls collage sheets you created this year are some of my most favorite of all time!! You rock! xoxoxo

Scrap Recup said...

Love this ! J'adore ! Bravo !