Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Waterless Snowglobes...

I love the idea of snowglobes but I really don't care for the water and fake snowflakes they contain. Sooo, I used a DIY Snowglobe from Alpha Stamps to make my own version without the annoying water and fake flakes.
Then I made a little apothecary jar version using the Apothecary Jar with Lid also from Alpha Stamps. I think they look adorable together...
But they look really cute on their own as well!
For those of you interested in making your own waterless snowglobes I've assembled a few tips on turning a boring globe on a white plastic base into a fabulously festive globe on a pedestal...
 I used a black and white Grosgrain ribbon attached with hot glue to cover the white plastic base.
 Next, I attached a Wired Pine Needle Stem (with hot glue) to hide the space where the base and globe connect.
 After painting a Small Wooden Finial and a Candlestick Holder red, I hot glued them to my globe and base as shown.
 Next I cut apart a Berry Sprig and a few inches of Holly Berry Garland and hot glued the leaves and berries around the finial on the top of the globe.
 I glue the leaves on one by one so I get complete coverage in the areas where I want it. Awww, it looks so pretty!
 Using my remaining garland I hot glued it to my ribbon around the base. Which left an ugly messy area where the two ends meet.
 To hide this, I simply glued a holly leaf right over the top of the mess :)
 I thought my snowglobe was still just a bit too boring so...
I added JOY, peppermints and glitter to make it truly fabulously festive!
I hope I have inspired you to make a little something for yourself!
 If you'd like the supply lists for either or both projects they can be found here and here.
If you'd like to buy one of my pieces they are available in my shop :)

1 comment:

N FL Lou said...

I love these! Also, I'm with you on the water globes, never really got the appeal. Mother once got me a large Italian snow globe with a wooden base, hand signed by the artist. The blasted thing developed funky, scummy water in a year or so. I took it apart and disinfected it, tossed the figures back in on a little straw and called it done. You just gave me the inspiration to do it right and I really appreciate it.

I'd love to know how you built up the little hill under the house. Would it be giving away too many secrets to let us know how it's done? I also got one of the plastic water globes and thought about putting a little Christmas house in it. The issue of adding extra elevation easily and stably stopped the project for awhile. Opening your blog post, I scared the crap out of my husband yelling, "This is it, this is IT!" You do amazing work and I'm so glad you share it.